In 1982, Inc.
magazine introduced the Inc. 500 list of the fastest-growing privately held companies in the U.S. Since then, the list of the nation’s most successful private companies has become the hallmark of entrepreneurial success and the place where some future household names first make their mark. Oracle, Patagonia, E*Trade, American Apparel, Zipcar and numerous other well-known brands have been honored by the Inc. 500|5000. In 2007, the Inc. 500 list expanded to the Inc. 500|5000, giving readers a deeper, richer understanding of the entrepreneurial landscape and capturing a broader spectrum of success. That year two Lafayette-based companies, Acadian Ambulance and Golfballs.com, landed a spot. But long before that, Acadiana companies had been appearing:
• 2000: Schumacher Group (391)
• 2003: Global Data Systems (374), Jelec USA (408)
• 2005: LHC Group (437)
• 2008: Greater Louisiana Staffing, dba Spherion (1794), Coble Enterprises (2323), Golfballs.com (3948), Acadian Ambulance (4513)
• 2009: Advanced Logistics (908), Golfballs.com (3321), Acadian Ambulance (3951)
Today, the list is a distinguished editorial award, a celebration of innovation, a network of entrepreneurial leaders, and an effective public relations showcase. The Inc. 500|5000 ranks companies by overall revenue growth over a three-year period. All 5,000 honoree companies are individually profiled on Inc.com, and the top 500 are featured in the September issue of Inc.
also ranks the fastest-growing companies by industry, metro area, revenue, and number of employees; additionally, it highlights women- and minority- run companies.
To qualify for the 2010 Inc. 500|5000, your company must:
• Have generated revenue by March 31, 2006
• Have generated at least $100,000 in revenue in 2006
• Have generated at least $2 million in revenue in 2009;
• Be privately held, for profit; based in the U.S., and independent (not a subsidiary or division of another company).
The deadline to submit the online application is April 30, 2010, and revenue verification documentation is due no later than May 14, 2010. Companies are encouraged to apply early in order to be eligible for additional benefits and to ensure that they make all editorial and publication deadlines. Apply here